Northern Territory Minister for Local Government Gerry McCarthy
Councils Encouraged To Apply For Special Purpose Grants
Victor P Taffa
Northern Territory Government’s latest round of Local Government Special Purpose Grants is now open, with $1.8 Million available for distribution.
“Territory Government values the work councils across the Northern Territory do, which is why we are providing funds for capital assets and services.” Minister for Local Government Gerry McCarthy said.
“Local Government Special Purpose Grants offer an opportunity for regional councils to improve their facilities and services and I encourage councils to submit applications.”
“When our remote communities and regions are strong the Territory is strong.” Minister for Local Government Gerry McCarthy said.
“That’s why Local Government Councils throughout the Territory are invited to apply for grants to improve community infrastructure and service delivery outcomes in their regions.”
All councils are eligible to apply for funds to assist with projects such as:
- Addressing antisocial behaviour,
- Construction and renovations,
- Discouraging vandalism,
- Graffiti and animal management,
- Plant and equipment,
- Social infrastructure,
- Upgrades to recreation facilities.
For example, in the previous grants round:
- Barkly Regional Council’s plans to install solar heating at the town pool got the go-ahead with funding of $80,000,
- Roper Gulf Regional Council successfully applied to purchase three front-end loaders,
- Tiwi Islands Regional Council received more than $180,000 to purchase equipment for its workshop.
“These grants will be especially helpful for regional and remote councils which have lower rate bases.” Minister McCarthy said.
Applications close on 4 March.