Western Australia Minister for Transport Troy Buswell
Stage Two Of Crucial Bunbury Port Road Begins
Victor P Taffa
- Stage two of Bunbury Port Access Road awarded to contractor Fulton Hogan
- Access road is a critical piece of road infrastructure for the South-West
- $170 Million project jointly funded by the Federal and State governments
Transport Minister Troy Buswell today announced the contract to design and construct the $133.9 Million second stage of the Bunbury Port Access Road has been awarded to South West-based contractor Fulton Hogan.
At a groundbreaking ceremony in Bunbury, Mr. Buswell said the project would greatly improve access to the port and Picton industrial area serviced by South Western Highway, and reduce congestion on Robertson Drive in Bunbury.
“This is a critical piece of road infrastructure for the South-West.” Mr. Buswell said.
“Construction on the second stage of the important Bunbury Port Access Road project is about to start with completion planned for March 2013.”
“The $36.1 Million first stage of the project, Willinge Drive between the port and Picton, was opened to traffic early in 2010.”
“Stage two will see Willinge Drive extended from Picton to the Bunbury Outer Ring Road and the Bunbury Outer Ring Road constructed between South Western Highway and the Boyanup-Picton Road.”
The Minister said the total project was worth $170 Million and was being jointly funded by the Federal and State Governments.
“This stage of the project offers an alternative route for freight vehicles from South Western Highway to the Bunbury Port and the Perth-Bunbury Highway, bypassing the congested sections of Robertson Drive between South Western Highway and the Eelup Rotary.” Mr. Buswell said.
“It forms part of the planned expansion of the road network, which includes the Bunbury Outer Ring Road, to cater for future growth of traffic on the road network and facilitate development of the Bunbury Port and South-West industry.”
- Fulton Hogan has extensive experience in the South-West, providing road maintenance and construction services to Main Roads WA for more than 10 years
Summary of Bunbury Port Access Road Works
Work on Willinge Drive includes:
- A 3 km extension as a two-lane road from South Western Highway in Picton to the Bunbury Outer Ring Road
- A two-lane bridge over the Ferguson River
- A new intersection at the connection of Willinge Drive with the Boyanup-Picton Road.
Work on the Bunbury Outer Ring Road includes:
- A 4 km section of the Bunbury Outer Ring Road (including 3 km of four-lane dual carriageway) from the Boyanup-Picton Road to South Western Highway in Davenport
- 2 dual lane bridges over the Preston River
- New intersections at the junctions with South Western Highway, Boyanup-Picton Road, Moore Road and Willinge Drive.
In addition to the two new roads, the contract will include:
- Realignment and reconstruction of a 1.5 km section of the Boyanup-Picton Road adjacent to the Bunbury Outer Ring Road, including upgrading of the intersection with Martin Pelusey Road
- Improvement of South Western Highway approaches to the Bunbury Outer Ring Road
- Provision of truck parking bays
- Construction of property accesses to several properties affected by the project.