Western Australia Minister for Science and innovation Bill Marmion
WA’s Most Innovative Minds Recognised
Victor P Taffa
Some of the world’s leading innovators are among the finalists to be recognised in the 2010 WA Innovator of the Year awards, announced today.
Science and Innovation Minister Bill Marmion said the awards promoted a culture of innovation and entrepreneurship across the State’s Public, Private and Education Sectors.
“Innovation underpins all industry sectors and the groundbreaking products and services emanating from it benefits diverse industries not only in Western Australia, but also nationally and internationally.” Mr. Marmion said.
“Through the awards, the State Government is fostering an environment of innovation which in turn drives the economy by generating employment opportunities and expanding WA’s export potential.”
The WA Innovator of the Year Awards enable WA businesses to take their product or service to the next level by providing business skills training, mentoring and financial support.
The Minister said successful innovators would have an opportunity to liaise with and learn from experts in areas such as intellectual property, marketing, R&D tax incentives and business development.
“Fostering strong networks and partnerships with these industry experts will assist our innovators with the commercialisation process.” Mr. Marmion said.
“WA businesses and universities are developing some of the world’s most outstanding innovations which are reflected by the high calibre entries in this year’s Program.”
The awards are administered by the Department of Commerce with sponsorship from Mitsubishi Corporation, Woodside, KPMG and Professional Service Providers.
The finalists in the 2010 WA Innovator of the Year Awards are:
- AMC – Solids Control Unit;
- Curtin University – Novel Gasification System for Low Rank Fuels;
- Edith Cowan University – SImPLE;
- Firstphysio – HALO The Digital Goniometer.
- Dimerix Bioscience Pty Ltd – Dimerix Bioscience;
- Flexipole Industries – Composite Fencing Systems;
- HiSeis Pty Ltd – HiSeis;
- Metro Power Company Pty Ltd – E2M.
A new Woodside Oil and Gas Encouragement Award will also be awarded to one of the following finalists:
- Cetra Technologies Pty Ltd – Cetrafoam Moulded LoDust EnviroPIR Cryogenic Insulation;
- DeepVision 3D – Mini-3D Underwater 3D Video Camera;
- JP Kenny – Vertical Strategic Anchor System;
- LNG Technology Pty Ltd – Improved LNG Process;
- One Atmosphere – Deepwater Lowering & Recovery System.
Winners will be announced at Burswood Entertainment Complex on November 4.