Western Australia Premier Colin Barnett
New WA Parliament To Sit Next Month
Victor P Taffa
- Joint sitting of 39th State Parliament scheduled for April 11
- Opening marks beginning of 2013 Parliamentary sitting year
- Parliament to sit for 20 weeks this year
The new Western Australian Parliament will sit on April 11 with a joint sitting of the Legislative Assembly and Legislative Council.
Premier Colin Barnett today announced that the 39th State Parliament would be officially opened by His Excellency Malcolm McCusker AC CVO QC, Governor of Western Australia.
Premier Barnett said he had written to the Governor to ask him to proclaim the new Parliamentary session.
Regular sittings of the Legislative Assembly will start from April 16, with 20 sitting weeks scheduled for this year.
“This is an exciting time for all Members and for the new Cabinet ministers especially. I congratulate all new Members who will sit on both sides of the house.” the Premier said.
“I am looking forward to the new Parliament and a comprehensive legislative program.”
Premier Barnett said while all of the newly elected members of the Legislative Assembly would take their seats from April 11, the new members of the Legislative Council will not do so until May 21.
- Since forming Government in 2008, 235 Government Acts had been passed into law
- 61 Bills were passed last year