Unlicensed Building Contractor Arrested And Extradited To New South Wales

Unlicensed Building Contractor Arrested And Extradited To New South Wales

New South Wales Minister for Better Regulation Matt Kean

Rixon Arrested In Queensland

Victor P Taffa

Unlicensed building contractor Matthew Geoffrey Rixon has been arrested on the Gold Coast and is being extradited to New South Wales.

Earlier this month Minister for Better Regulation Matt Kean warned consumers not to deal with Rixon, who has been permanently banned from working in the home building industry.

“This warning prompted someone to come forward with vital information which allowed Queensland Police, with the help of the Queensland Office of Fair Trading, to find and arrest Rixon.” Minister Kean said.

Rixon appeared at the Southport Magistrate’s Court yesterday after he was arrested at a Bundall office on Wednesday morning over an outstanding bench warrant issued by the New South Wales Supreme Court.

Rixon was refused bail and is being extradited to Newcastle where the warrant will be executed so he can appear in the New South Wales Supreme Court on March 2.

“I thank the Queensland Police and Queensland Office of Fair Trading for their hard work in locating and arresting Rixon, as well as the New South Wales Police for carrying out the extradition.” Minister Kean said.

“New South Wales Fair Trading investigators have worked tirelessly with these agencies to ensure Rixon is brought to justice.”

Warrant was issued for Rixon’s arrest on January 12 after he failed to appear in the New South Wales Supreme Court.

He had previously pleaded guilty to contempt of court charges for defying court orders banning him from doing residential building work in New South Wales.

Since 2012 New South Wales Fair Trading has issued numerous public warnings and brought multiple proceedings against Rixon.

Rixon was banned from conducting or being engaged in any residential building work or specialist work in April 2013.