New South Wales Minister for Emergency Services Troy Grant
Bravery And Dedication Hallmarks Of Fire & Rescue NSW St. Florian’s Day Awards
Victor P Taffa
Firefighters who assisted a man seriously injured by an explosion and a community member who rescued a man from a burning vehicle have been recognised at the Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) St. Florian’s Day awards ceremony.
Minister for Emergency Services Troy Grant said that St. Florian’s Day, also known as International Firefighter’s Day, is a fitting time to reflect on the heavy responsibility our firefighters undertake to keep us safe and to celebrate the many men and women who exemplify the bravery, dedication and professionalism of their duties.
“As a community, we ask more of firefighters than we would ask of ourselves, and time and again, they deliver.” Minister Grant said.
“All our firefighters deserve to be recognised and thanked, but these awards are also an opportunity to honour those who have gone above and beyond for their crew members and for their communities.”
“I’d also like to congratulate Mr. Michael Van Baast, a community member, who received a commendation for his efforts in ensuring the safety of other fellow citizens.”
FRNSW Commissioner Paul Baxter said each of the people commended is a credit to both FRNSW and the communities they protect and serve.
“This year’s recipients exemplify the proud legacy of courageous service that is the hallmark of NSW firefighters.” Commissioner Baxter said.
“We recognise each individual separately, but also the teamwork that drives and inspires them to higher acts.”
2018 FRNSW commendations included:
- 2017 rescue of a man trapped in a burning vehicle on the Olympic Highway near Cootamundra;
- Actions of a firefighter at a 2015 explosion in Portland;
- Life saving actions of firefighters at a medical assistance incident at Lane Cove in 2017,Contributing to raising funds for the Burns Unit;
- Children’s Hospital at Westmead;
- Team involved in the reclassification of the Urban Search to AUS 2.
St. Florian’s Day is commemorated annually on 4 May.
Commendation for Courageous Action:
Motor Vehicle Accident Rescue in Cootamundra, September 2017
- Community member Mr. Michael Van Baast
Commendations for Meritorious Service:
Explosion in Portland, July 2015
- Retained Firefighter Shane Green
Unit Resuscitation Award for life saving actions:
Lane Cove Medical Assistance Incident
Lane Cove Fire Station ‘B’ Platoon
- Station Officer Leslie Solomons
- Firefighter Richard Rice
- Firefighter Phillip Dunne
- Firefighter Kirk Stevenson
Unit Commendation for Meritorious Service:
Fundraising for The Burns Unit, The Children’s Hospital at Westmead
Burns Unit, The Children’s Hospital at Westmead Fundraising Committee
- Station Officer Brett Butler
- Station Officer Scott Henderson
- Station Officer Lachlan Arnold
- Station Officer Scott Hanley
- Senior Firefighter Brett Carle
- Senior Firefighter Matthew Johnson
Unit Award, framed certificate:
AUS 2 Urban Search and Rescue External Reclassification
- FRNSW personnel involved in the AUS 2 Urban Search and Rescue External Reclassification.
NSW New South Wales