Western Australia Minister for Regional Development Alannah MacTiernan
Mobile Coverage Boost In Remote Tourism Destinations And Communities
Victor P Taffa
- McGowan Government and Optus partner to deliver 4G mobile and data coverage in 11 remote locations throughout the State
- Co-investment to boost regional tourism, businesses and communities
Mobile voice and data coverage in some of the State’s most iconic tourist destinations and remote Aboriginal communities is to be extended through an agreement between the McGowan Government and Optus.
“This unique arrangement and McGowan Government investment will deliver premium grade mobile and data coverage to several remote locations throughout the State, many of which attract a high number of visitors.” Minister for Regional Development Alannah MacTiernan said.
“These sites were priorities for the State in the latest Federal Government Mobile Black Spot funding round while they missed out on Federal funding, we’ve found a solution to bring coverage to these locations.”
Partnership has committed to upgrade services to 4G at 9 locations across the Kimberley, Pilbara, Gascoyne and Goldfields-Esperance regions, while an additional 2 locations will receive mobile coverage for the first time.
4G satellite small cell service will triple the current coverage footprint to a 6 km radius, double the capacity and reduce congestion.
Co-investment will help drive regional tourism, while also providing businesses and residents in isolated areas with a high-quality mobile network service that will help support growth and jobs.
Works are set to commence in coming months to extend the 4G network to the following locations:
Upgraded to 4G:
- Bell Gorge (Kimberley) – tourist destination/Aboriginal community;
- Burringurrah (Gascoyne) – tourist destination/Aboriginal community;
- Cape Le Grand/Lucky Bay (Goldfields-Esperance) – tourist destination;
- Home Valley Station (Kimberley) – tourist destination;
- Kalumburu (Kimberley) – tourist destination/Aboriginal community;
- Karijini Eco Resort (Pilbara) – tourist destination;
- Karijini Visitor Centre (Pilbara) – tourist destination;
- Karijini Campground (Pilbara) – tourist destination;
- Mindibunga (Kimberley) – tourist destination/Aboriginal community.
- Alexander Bay (Goldfields-Esperance) – tourist destination;
- Parrngurr (Pilbara) – tourist destination/Aboriginal community.