Western Australia Minister for Regional Development Alannah MacTiernan
Port Hedland Marina And Waterfront Draft Masterplan Released
Victor P Taffa
- Draft Masterplan for Port Hedland’s Spoilbank Marina and waterfront redevelopment released
- Public invited to comment online and at today’s open day
- Long and short-term plans for the new Marina and landside activation released
A draft Masterplan to revitalise Port Hedland through construction of the McGowan Government’s $94 Million Spoilbank Marina and waterfront redevelopment has been released for public comment.
“Spoilbank Marina and associated waterfront redevelopment is a genuinely transformative project for Port Hedland, and the McGowan Government is progressing the delivery of this key election promise to the Pilbara community.” Minister for Regional Development Alannah MacTiernan said.
“New Marina and associated new landside development will provide a central point for community and economic activity at an iconic ocean side location in Port Hedland providing a new amenity for both Hedland residents and tourists.”
Reflecting significant stakeholder and community input at workshops held during September 2019, the Masterplan incorporates both land and ocean-side development, including:
- 4-lane boat ramp;
- Dry dock area for commercial vessels;
- Marina waterbody and associated infrastructure with initial capacity for 45 boat pens and 80 pens in the long-term;
- Public waterfront promenade;
- Publicly-accessible breakwaters and a jetty platform;
- Recreation and event spaces, including provision for temporary ‘pop-ups’ accommodating food and beverage outlets;
- Shared sports club opportunity;
- Up to 200 trailer parking bays and additional provision for general car parking.
“Port Hedland’s recreational boating community has long wished for improved facilities and the McGowan Government is meeting that need.” Pilbara MLA Kevin Michel said.
“However, this Masterplan goes further and also delivers a design that will ensure that all Hedland community members benefit from this development, through creating new community spaces and economic activity.”
Hedland community members can view the Masterplan at today’s open day from 11 am-3 pm at the Gratwick Hall, Civic Centre in Port Hedland where Pilbara MLA Kevin Michel and representatives from Pilbara Development Commission, Development WA, consultants Taylor Burrell Barnett Planning and the Town of Port Hedland will be on hand to take community feedback.
WA Western Australia