Federal Minister for Infrastructure and Transport Anthony Albanese
Victoria Minister for Public Transport Terry Mulder
Significant Progress Made On Regional Rail Link
Victor P Taffa
Major Regional Rail Link construction works were undertaken in December 2012 and January 2013, with trains now back up and running on the Sunbury, Ballarat and Bendigo lines.
Federal Minister for Infrastructure and Transport Anthony Albanese said it was exciting to see so much progress take place in a short space of time, as the multi-billion dollar project takes shape.
Mr. Albanese said he looked forward to more Regional Rail Link construction milestones being achieved in 2013.
“Building the Regional Rail Link is a huge job, and it’s encouraging to see our construction teams maximising opportunities to work over the quieter holiday period.” Mr. Albanese said.
“Regional Rail Link is a transformative project for Victoria, and will markedly improve the face of public transport in Melbourne’s west.”
Victorian Public Transport Minister Terry Mulder said a combined peak workforce of over 1,000 people worked around the clock from Thursday 27 December 2012 to New Year’s Eve, then again from Friday 4 January 2013 to the early hours of this morning, notching up over 230,000 man hours to deliver over $40 Million worth of infrastructure.
“The past few weeks have seen an enormous amount of construction carried out, including installation of sections of the new Albert Street bridge in Footscray and continued work to remove the Bendigo / Sunbury line level crossing on Anderson Road, Sunshine.” Mr. Mulder said.
“The construction teams also undertook bridge strengthening, track reconfiguration, conduit installation, extensive excavation, and construction works at Sunshine, West Footscray and Footscray railway stations.”
Mr. Mulder said the works were an important step in getting on with the job of fixing Victoria’s public transport system.
“By ramping up construction at this time of year, our teams have undertaken significant works while minimising disruption for rail customers and the community, and I would like to acknowledge all of the workers who gave up their summer holidays to achieve this fantastic result.” Mr. Mulder said.
“This is a great outcome for the community and for commuters and I thank everyone for their patience while these works were undertaken.”
The Regional Rail Link is jointly funded by the Federal and Victorian Governments with the Federal Government contributing $3.225 Billion.
Regional Rail Link works undertaken during December 2012 and January 2013:
- La Trobe Street rail bridge strengthening works;
- Track, platform extension and formation works at Southern Cross Station platforms 15/16;
- Underground Rail Loop tunnel strengthening works in preparation for Dudley Street bridge work;
- Track upgrades and signalling cable relocation and upgrades;
- Major structural works to the freight bridge in Footscray;
- Major track reconfiguration in Footscray and Sunshine;
- Structural works to remove the Bendigo/Sunbury line level crossing on Anderson Road, Sunshine;
- Construction at Footscray, West Footscray and Sunshine railway stations;
- Substantial excavation and the construction of retaining walls in Footscray;
- Major bridge works at Nicholson Street and Albert Street (Footscray) and Ashley Street (Tottenham);
- Removal of the Rising Sun footbridge (West Footscray);
- Drilling under the rail tracks to install conduits for carrying new signalling and fibre optic cables between Sunshine and Deer Park.