Western Australia Minister for Science and Innovation John Day
New Funding Puts Marine Research In The Swim
Victor P Taffa
- Strategically located Perth office receives $1 Million in funding
- Oceanographic research posts around the world connect through Perth
- Oceanographic observation and research important to many WA industries
Science and Innovation Minister John Day have announced $1 Million in funding for the Perth Regional Program Office in support of the UNESCO Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission (IOC).
Mr. Day said the office was the only IOC support facility of its kind in the Southern Hemisphere.
“The Perth office is a link between oceanographic observation and research organisations throughout the Indian Ocean and Pacific Island regions and is in an excellent position to improve Western Australia’s international strategic marine innovation connections.” Mr. Day said.
“Oceanographic observation and research is important to many key industries in WA, including the oil and gas and resource sectors, as improved understanding of the impact that ocean temperatures have on monsoon and cyclones, as well as boundary currents such as the Leeuwin current, is highly valued in the energy sector.”
“Projects that will benefit from the funding include training in modelling for ocean forecasting and other skills needed in oceanography, such as observation, data management and information processing.”
The Minister commended UNESCO for the role the Perth Regional Program Office has played since 1998 as a key connector for Western Australia with oceanic research alliances involving more than 50 nations.
“This continued funding will enable the office to strategically position itself into the future to play a significant role to progress initiatives in climate and ocean research.” Mr. Day said.
The funding, which is spread across five years, will attract significant investment into Western Australia from the Bureau of Meteorology and UNESCO.
- UNESCO Perth office has been receiving State Government funding since 1998
- Projected expenditure in scientific research across Govt more than $241 M for 2011-12
- In 2011-12, Liberal-National Govt announced creation of new $10 M Research and Innovation Fund as part of additional $54.5 M for industry, science and innovation, 2011-12 to 2014-15