North West Heavy Rail Line As A Through Line From Day 1
Victor P Taffa
North West Railway Line that is under construction will provide a far more effective Railway Line with many more services for commuters as a Through Line than a Branch Line.
East Hills Line until 1984 was a Branch Line.
Population growth required the extension of the East Hills Line.
Same issue affects the North West and line will require extending sooner than anticipated.
North West Line stops 3 km short of the Richmond Line
- For more than 80 Years Sydney had Single Deck Rail Carriages.
- Single Deck Heavy Rail Carriages with 70% seating capacity
North West Line can convey Single Deck Heavy Rail Carriages with 70% seating capacity that enables a Richmond-Epping service and services into the City and across to Marsden Park.
From Marsden Park the line connects onto the Ropes Creek Rail corridor and with the Western Line at St. Mary’s.
Richmond Line Interchange Railway Stations
Tallawong Interchange Platforms for Vineyard Station on Richmond Line
Riverstone Interchange Platforms above Surface Station
Vineyard Sets of Points takes trains to North West Line
Double Track Y Link:
A Double Track Y Link will allow flexibility for Heavy Rail services and relieve pressure on the Western Line enabling the introduction of new services.
This also enables services on the North West Heavy Rail Line to be intensive and high frequency.
Double Track Diamond Junction
As contained in my Western Sydney Airport EIS Transport Submission North West Line needs a Double Track Diamond Junction at Richmond Line/ North West Line Junction plus a Double Track Rail Overpass.
Heavy Rail allows for 100% integration of services that places commuters Front and Centre of Decision Making.
- $2 Billion in not building Sydney Harbour Rail Tunnel
- Not ‘Converting’ Epping-Chatswood Railway Line
- Not ‘Converting’ Bankstown Line
- Central Platforms 26 & 27 already constructed
- St. James Platforms 2 & 3 already constructed
- Macquarie Street Rail Tunnel Double Track width already constructed
- Emu Plains-City via North West Line (New Double Track Y Link)
- Emu Plains-City via Western Line (Serves Bradfield Line)
- Blacktown-City via North West Line (New Double Track Y Link)
- St. Mary’s-City via North West Line (New Double Track Y Link)
- Bradfield Line second city circle line will be required when North West Line opens.
- Bradfield Line second city circle line for Western Line Trains
- Double Track direct connection with Eastern Suburbs Line
- Pedestrian Tunnel connecting Museum and Hyde Park Corner Railway Stations
Sydney Harbour Bridge
Sydney Harbour Bridge serves:
- North West Line
- Northern Line
- Richmond Line
Bradfield Line Stations
- Central Platforms 26 & 27
- Darling Harbour
- King Street
- Bridge Street
- St. James Platforms 2 & 3
- Hyde Park Corner
- Central Platforms 26 & 27
City Circle Stations
- Town Hall
- Circular Quay
- St. James
Epping Railway Station
Currently Epping has 3 at Grade Platforms and 2 Below Grade Level Platforms.
- Platform 1 To City via Eastwood
- Platform 2 Terminates
- Platform 3 To Hornsby from Eastwood
- Platform 5 To City via Macquarie Park
- Platform 6 To Hornsby from Macquarie Park
Epping Platform 4
Below Grade Platform 4 is either hoarded up or Platform Number 4 set aside.
- Either hoarded up or waiting to be built with the Platform Number 4 set aside.
- Terminating Platform for services from Parramatta in the Parramatta-Chatswood Railway Plan of 1998.
In 1998 there were plans to build the Parramatta-Chatswood Railway Line with below grade Platforms at Parramatta Railway Station having been built.
Carlingford Railway Line was to have been duplicated and below grade Epping Platform 4 is either hidden or the Platform Number 4 has been reserved for the line from Parramatta.
Epping Railway Station will expand once:
- Carlingford Line is duplicated and extended to Epping.
- North West Heavy Rail Line becomes operational.
- Northern Line Extension is built.
Platform 1 To City via Eastwood
Platform 2 To Hurstville via Roselands
Platform 3 To Berowra via Cheltenham from Roselands and Hurstville
Platform 4 To Hornsby via Cheltenham from Eastwood and City
Platform 5 To City via Macquarie Park from Carlingford Line, Hornsby or North West Line
Platform 6 To Carlingford Line, Hornsby or North West Line from Macquarie Park
Platform 7 Terminates for Richmond-Epping via Castle Hill services
- Platforms 1-4 At Grade
- Platforms 5-7 Below Grade
Room exists now to reconfigure the At Grade Platforms and Realign Tracks.
Room exists for 4 Tracks to pass underneath Epping Road Overpass.
Platform 3 is currently off-set.
Cumberland Line And Richmond-Epping Via Castle Hill Heavy Rail Services
Sydney Trains operates the Cumberland Line services between Schofields on the Richmond Line and Campbelltown on the Southern Line.
Richmond-Epping via Castle Hill services would be similar to the Cumberland Line with Richmond on the Richmond Line and Epping on the Northern Line where the North West Line meets the Northern Line.
Richmond-Epping services as Heavy Rail leaves the Richmond Line at Vineyard via Sets of Points onto the North West Line and terminates at below grade Epping Platform 7.
Some time ago Railway Planners said that research found that commuters alighting and boarding on the North West Line would be intensive in certain areas along the new North West Line as much as wanting to go into the Sydney CBD.
By having trains terminate below Grade at Epping Platform 7 allows high frequency services on the North West Line to experience higher loadings than a North West Branch Line configuration alone would achieve.
North Sydney-Emu Plains Via Castle Hill Line Stations And Details
- Between North Sydney-Chatswood amplified to 4 Tracks and 4 Operating Platforms
- Double Track Y Link between Wianamatta Creek and Ropes Creek Rail Corridor
- Rail Overpass at Christie Street, Werrington
- Double Track Diamond Junction at Richmond Line/North West Line Junction
- Double Track Rail Overpass at Richmond Line/North West Line Junction
- North West Stabling Facility would not be affected
Railway Station Location/New Location
- North Sydney Existing Heavy Rail Station
- Waverton Existing Heavy Rail Station
- Wollstonecraft Existing Heavy Rail Station
- St. Leonards Existing Heavy Rail Station
- Artarmon Existing Heavy Rail Station
- Chatswood Existing Heavy Rail Station
- North Ryde Existing Heavy Rail Station
- Macquarie Park Existing Heavy Rail Station
- Macquarie University Existing Heavy Rail Station
- Epping Existing Heavy Rail Station
- Cherrybrook Heavy Rail Station Under Construction
- Castle Hill Heavy Rail Station Under Construction
- Showground Heavy Rail Station Under Construction
- Norwest Heavy Rail Station Under Construction
- Bella Vista Heavy Rail Station Under Construction
- Kellyville Heavy Rail Station Under Construction
- Rouse Hill Heavy Rail Station Under Construction
- Tallawong Interchange Platforms for Vineyard Station on Richmond Line
- Riverstone Interchange Platforms above Surface Station
- Schofields West Surface near Burfitt/ Carnarvon Rd Int.
- Marsden Park Surface near Richmond Rd east of Fulton Rd cul-de-sac
- Shalvey U/G near Luxford Rd/ Emerson Street Int.
- Wilmot U/G near Luxford Rd/ Koomooloo Crescent
- Lethbridge Park U/G near Forrester / Hatherton Rd Int.
- Ropes Creek Rebuilt Railway Station
- Cochrane Rebuilt Railway Station
- Dunheved Rebuilt Railway Station
- St. Marys Existing Heavy Rail Station
- Werrington Existing Heavy Rail Station
- Kingswood Existing Heavy Rail Station
- Penrith Existing Heavy Rail Station
- Emu Plains Existing Heavy Rail Station