Western Australia Minister for Planning Rita Saffioti
Coastal Awards Recognise Environmental Planning Excellence
Victor P Taffa
- Nominations now open for Western Australia Coastal Awards for Excellence
- Awards recognise achievements in local coastal planning and management activities
- Award categories range from monitoring, rehabilitation, tourism development and residential design
- Awards presented as part of the Western Australian Planning Commission’s Coastal Zone Management program
Minister for Planning Rita Saffioti today announced that nominations for the 2019 Western Australian Coastal Awards for Excellence are now open.
“Western Australian Coastal Awards for Excellence celebrate the people and projects which have achieved so much in protecting, managing and enhancing our experience of the State’s coast and marine environment.” Minister for Planning Rita Saffioti said.
“Awards highlight and raise awareness of the significance of our coastline and aim to recognise those who are committed to caring for it.”
In line with the Government’s Western Australian Coastal Zone Strategy, these awards promote the need for collective action to manage and adapt to threats and pressures along our coast in pursuit of our vision of a sustainable coast for the long-term benefit of our community and visitors.
2019 award categories include:
- Coastal Champion,
- Coastal Planning and Coastal Design,
- Community Group,
- Heritage and Tourism,
- Local Government,
- On-Ground Coastal Management.
Applicants may self-nominate or nominate any eligible community group, organisation or individual.
Awards are co-ordinated by the Department of Planning, Lands and Heritage on behalf of the Western Australian Planning Commission’s Coastal Zone Management program, including Coastwest, the Coastal Management Plan Assistance Program and the Department of Transport’s Coastal Adaptation and Protection Grants.
Nominations close on 1 July, 2019 with winners to be announced in October 2019.