New South Wales Minister for Tourism Stuart Ayres
New South Wales Number 1 Domestic Visitor Destination
Victor P Taffa
New South Wales has once again come out on top as Australia’s favourite tourism destination, achieving its highest number of domestic overnight visitors, nights and expenditure on record.
Minister for Tourism Stuart Ayres said both Sydney and regional New South Wales saw significant growth across all 3 metrics according to the latest National Visitor Survey.
New South Wales received 34.6 Million domestic visitors (+9.4 %, up 2.98 Million) who stayed 107.4 Million nights (+7.3 %, up 7.3 Million) and spent $21.1 Billion (+13.1 %, up $2.45 Billion).
“Numbers speak for themselves domestic visitors love New South Wales.” Minister Ayres said.
“More people than ever are coming to our beautiful State to experience our magnificent coastline, iconic harbour, stunning outback, world-class events and unbeatable hospitality and we look forward to welcoming many more.”
“Key investments and initiatives such as establishing the State’s Destination Networks in 2016, delivering on our Visitor Economy Industry Action Plan and increasing the various funding streams for regional events and marketing programs are paying off as we see our State realising domestic visitor growth more than double that of our nearest competitor, Victoria.”
“New South Wales Government is committed to continuing to develop and deliver initiatives that will drive visitor growth across the State and help achieve our goal of reaching $55 Billion in overnight visitor expenditure by 2030.” Minister Ayres said.
Destination New South Wales CEO Sandra Chipchase said New South Wales has continued its national leadership in the domestic overnight market and accounting for 32.7 % of all visitors, 28.6 % of all nights and 29.0 % of all expenditure to Australia.
“These impressive statistics are the result of the foresight and dedication from the New South Wales Government via Destination New South Wales to position New South Wales as the country’s premier tourism State over many years.” Ms. Chipchase said.
Regional New South Wales
- Regional New South Wales leads regional Australia in domestic visitors and nights.
- Regional New South Wales received 24.2 Million domestic visitors (+8.5 %, up 1.9 Million) who stayed 77.8 Million nights (+6.1 %, up 4.4 Million) and spent nearly $12.3 Billion (+8.1 %, up $921 Million) for the year.
- Regional New South Wales leads second ranked regional Queensland by 7.0 Million domestic visitors (40 % higher) and 4.9 Million nights (7 % higher).
- Regional New South Wales leads third ranked regional Victoria by 7.8 Million domestic visitors (48 % higher), 31.7 Million nights (69 % higher) and $5.8 Billion in visitor expenditure (90 % higher).
- Sydney leads all Australian capital cities in domestic visitors, nights, and expenditure.
- Sydney received 11.1 Million domestic overnight visitors (+11.5 %) who stayed 29.6 Million nights (+10.7 %) and spent $8.8 Billion (+21.0 %) for the year. Sydney achieved its highest expenditure growth.
- Sydney leads second ranked Melbourne by 1.1 Million domestic visitors (11 % higher), 1.8 Million nights (6 % higher) and $380 Million (4 % higher).
- Sydney leads third ranked Brisbane by 3.6 Million domestic visitors (47 % higher), 7.8 Million nights (35.5 % higher) and $4.2 Billion in expenditure (91 % higher) for the year.
*National Visitor Survey is managed by Tourism Research Australia.