Western Australia Minister for Education Peter Collier
New $20.7 Million Primary School For Karratha
Victor P Taffa
- $20.7 Million State Government funding invested in new Karratha school
- Independent Public School opened on first day of school year
Education Minister Peter Collier today officially opened the new $20.7 Million Baynton West Primary School in Karratha.
At the official opening ceremony, Mr. Collier said the new school was providing an education to students in one of the fastest growing areas of the Pilbara.
“Since opening as an Independent Public School on the first day of the school year, Baynton West Primary School has been giving local families wonderful educational opportunities.” Mr. Collier said.
“As we begin the second half of the school year, I am delighted to see students thriving in this outstanding learning environment.
“The school has become the heart of this family-orientated area with the community working together since its inception.”
“It has already used its Independent Public School status to employ a visual arts specialist and a health and physical education specialist.” Mr. Collier said.
Facilities include 13 general classrooms; three pre-primary classrooms; a library resource centre; art and craft room; and music room.
Other student facilities include:
- Covered assembly area and canteen
- Dental therapy centre
- Oval (shared with the Shire of Roebourne)
- Hard courts
“This new school is yet another example of the State Government’s commitment to delivering 21st century schools that will benefit students and their families for generations to come.” Mr. Collier said.
- Baynton West has 373 students, enrolled from kindergarten to year 7
- Award-winning staff include: deputy principal Will Davis, National Primary Teacher of the Year 2012 and principal Lisa Ledger, finalist in both WA Education Awards Primary Principal of the Year 2011 and Department of Education’s WA Women of Achievement Award 2011