Western Australia Minister for Sport and Recreation Terry Waldron
Grants Shine The Light On Facilities
Victor P Taffa
- East Kimberley sporting venues lit up with help of CSRFF grants
- Kununurra Agriculture Oval and Wyndham Pool have new lights
New lights at the Kununurra Agriculture Oval and the Wyndham Swimming Pool are helping locals to stay active after the sun goes down.
The State Government helped fund the projects through its Community Sporting and Recreation Facilities Fund (CSRFF), which helps small but important community projects get off the ground.
The Shire of Wyndham East Kimberley received $350,000 for the Ag Oval floodlight project and a further $50,000 was allocated for the upgrade of lighting at the Wyndham Swimming Pool.
Sport and Recreation Minister Terry Waldron switched the lights while visiting the East Kimberley region today.
“These lights will add amenity to two well-used and popular venues and will ease the pressure on the Town Oval at this busy time of year.” Mr. Waldron said.
“Good facilities – like the pool and its new lights are crucial to the healthy lifestyle of those who live in this region, particularly with the heat up here for most of the year.”
“We are also aware that with Kununurra’s eastern location, the nights close in a lot earlier, so it made a lot of sense to provide funding for lights on a second oval in town.”
“Our contribution also reinforces the State Government’s commitment to work with local government authorities and local sporting groups to ensure these amenities are provided so that people of all ages get to play sport.” Mr. Waldron said.
- CSRFF has grants for smaller projects under $150,000 and major facilities for over $150,000
- For projects over $150,000 the 2014-15 CSRFF Annual and Forward planning funding round is now open. Applications to Department of Sport and Recreation (DSR) close 4 pm Friday September 27, 2013. Applicants must check with their local government authority for their closing date as they vary to accommodate council meeting schedules
- For projects under $150,000 the 2013-14 CSRFF July Small Grants round opens on July 1, 2013. Applications to DSR close 4 pm Friday August 30, 2013. Applicants must check with their local government authority for their closing date as they vary to accommodate council meeting schedules