New South Wales Minister for Police and Emergency Services Troy Grant
Call For Community To Help ‘Feed A Farmer’ This Festive Season
Victor P Taffa
Help ‘Feed a Farmer’ this festive season that’s the message from emergency services this morning as they launched a charity drive calling for food donations across the community.
Minister for Police and Emergency Services Troy Grant launched the initiative at the Police’s Aviation Support Branch in Bankstown Airport with representatives of:
- NSW Police Force,
- Fire and Rescue NSW,
- NSW Rural Fire Service,
- State Emergency Service.
Agencies have joined with Foodbank NSW/ACT to spearhead the drive, which will be calling on donations across the state over the next two months.
Minister Grant said ‘Feed a Farmer’ was a wonderful example of mates helping mates across New South Wales, and would hopefully come as some small relief for those doing it tough during the drought.
“Our farmers are the backbone of our community, and have been battling terrible drought conditions for months now, with many choosing to feed their stock first before putting food on their own tables.” Minister Grant said.
“This drive is about getting behind them to show our support and that’s just the Aussie way, when people are doing it tough in our community, we all pitch in to lend a helping hand.”
“I’m also very proud to see our emergency services joining forces to support this important cause. Remember, any donation, large or small can make a big difference.”
Farmer Blair Briggs also joined the Minister to launch the community appeal today.
“So many farmers are having a really tough go of things at the moment with almost the entire state affected by the drought.” Mr. Briggs said.
“We’re all doing what we can to make ends meet, but it’s really nice to know the community are behind us, and I’m happy that I can help get the word out for people to get involved.”
New South Wales Police Deputy Commissioner Gary Worboys said this initiative is something that all the emergency services with the assistance of the community can do to help farmers hit hard by drought.
“We all know farmers are tough, resilient and pride themselves on standing on their own two feet, but sometimes even the toughest need help.” Deputy Commissioner Worboys said.
“That’s why ‘Feed a Farmer’ is a great opportunity for our emergency services to come together with the community to help ease the hardship caused by drought.”
Foodbank NSW and ACT CEO Gerry Andersen said it was great to see all of the emergency services coming together to support those in need.
Across NSW and the ACT, Foodbank helps more than 147,000 people a month, and provides more than 1.4 Million meals for families in need.
“Feed a Farmer’ is about lending a helping hand to farmers and their families, and the donations collected will be distributed to where they are most needed.” Mr. Andersen said.
Collections for ‘Feed a Farmer’ will run until Tuesday 4 December 2018. The community can support the initiative by dropping any food or necessities to one of the following locations during business hours, Monday-Friday:
- Albury – 25 Airport Drive, Albury
- Batemans Bay – 7 Kylie Crescent, Batemans Bay
- Casino – 40 Neville Bienke Memorial Dr, Casino
- Central Coast – 105 Arizona Rd, Charmhaven
- Coffs Harbour – 1 Aviation Drive, Coffs Harbour
- Dubbo – Lot 10 Cooreena Rd, Dubbo
- Hunter Valley – 110 Mt. Vincent Road, East Maitland
- Orange – 1385 Forest Road, Orange
- Port Macquarie – 108 Cameron Street, Wauchope
- Queanbeyan/Canberra – 10 Ellerton Drive, Queanbeyan
- Shoalhaven – 92 Albatross Rd, Nowra
- Southern Highlands – 65 Bridge St, Picton
- Tamworth – 19-23 Lockheed St, Tamworth
- Wagga Wagga – 208 Fernleigh Rd, Wagga Wagga
- Wollongong – 37 Airport Road, Albion Park Rail
- Young – Shop 3, Lovell Place, Young
- Blue Mountains – Cnr Bathurst and Valley Road, Katoomba
- Campbelltown – Cnr Alderney Street and Townson Avenue, Minto
- Hawkesbury – Macquarie Road, Wilberforce
- Hornsby – 1049 Pacific Highway, Cowan
- Nepean – 8-12 Jeanette Street, Regentville
- Northern Beaches – Gate 4 Thompson Drive, Terrey Hills
- Sutherland – 126 Wilson Parade, Heathcote
- The Hills – 1A Angus Road, Kenthurst
NSW New South Wales
ACT Australian Capital Territory