Northern Territory Deputy Chief Minister David Tollner
CLP Ropes In Another Major Project To Benefit NT Economy
Victor P Taffa
The Territory’s resources sector continues to grow, with a mining venture signed off today to further boost the economy and create an extra 400 jobs.
Australian iron ore exploration and development company, Sherwin Iron, signed a Project Facilitation Agreement with the NT Government to open up the Roper River for mining of iron ore.
Deputy Chief Minister David Tollner said the agreement outlined how the government and Sherwin Iron would work together to address critical matters such as maximising local industry and employment opportunities, freight logistics and transport, and environmental protection.
“The Sherwin Iron project will create 200 jobs in the construction phase and 400 by the time it’s fully operational. Many of the workers will be sourced from the region including local Indigenous communities.” Mr. Tollner said.
“The project has already been given Major Project status. This clearly indicates the government’s desire for this project to succeed and to deliver the substantial economic and regional development benefits that it offers.”
Initial production is estimated to commence later this year with export volumes of up to 3,000,000 tonnes p.a. of iron ore to be shipped across East Arm Wharf.
“There is no doubt that project such as Sherwin Iron is exactly the type of projects that government is facilitating to achieve our objective of stimulating stronger economic growth across the Territory.” Mr. Tollner said.
Over the past six months, Sherwin Iron and government agencies have worked hard to finalise this agreement.
- Situated approximately 475 km south-east of Darwin, or 120 km east of Mataranka
- Resource initially discovered by BHP in the late 1950’s and early 1960’s
- Extensive drilling by Sherwin has increased the resource and identified an indicated 39.5 Million tonnes of 57.9 % Fe Direct Shipping Ore (high grade iron ore)
- Stage 1 development is to mine (open cut) and export the Direct Shipping Ore
- The ore will be exported via East Arm Wharf to market
- Sherwin Iron’s Roper Iron Project is an important contributor to the development of the Roper region.