In Law & Order

Assistant Commissioner John Hartley

Traffic Services Commander

OPERATION SAFE RETURN 2010 – Road Toll Remains At One

The State’s road toll for OPERATION SAFE RETURN 2010 remains at one following the first day of the Australia Day long weekend road safety campaign.

OPERATION SAFE RETURN commenced at 00.01 hrs yesterday (Saturday 23 January 2010) and will conclude at 23.59 hrs on Tuesday (26 January 2010).

About 4.55 am yesterday, a collision involving two vehicles occurred on the Mitchell Highway near the Blayney turn-off about 25 kilometres East of Orange.

A report examining the circumstances surrounding the death of a female driver is being prepared for the Coroner. A male driver remains in hospital after sustaining serious injuries in the collision.

On Day One of OPERATION SAFE RETURN, Police issued a total of 1,027 infringement notices for speeding offences, 33 more than for the same period last year.

A total of 33,139 breath tests were conducted, with 84 PCA charges laid. During the same period last year, a total of 34,737 breath tests were conducted with 104 charges laid.

Traffic Services Commander, Assistant Commissioner John Hartley, is appealing for drivers to take it easy, especially on wet roads.

“Motorists need to adjust their driving to the conditions, with many roads across Sydney and in other parts of the state affected by rain which has continued falling since late yesterday.” Assistant Commander Hartley said.

“Slow down and leave a reasonable distance between your car and the vehicle in front of you in wet conditions, it takes longer to stop in an emergency.”

“I’m pleading with drivers to follow a few simple driving rules that can mean the difference between life and death.”

“Don’t drink-drive, stick to the speed limit, don’t talk or text on a mobile phone whilst driving, wear your seat-belt, and take regular rest breaks.”

“We need your co-operation to keep the road toll down, but sadly, the message isn’t getting through to everyone.” Assistant Commander Hartley said.

Examples of irresponsible driving behaviour detected by police on Day One of OPERATION SAFE RETURN include:

NORTH SYDNEY: About 5.10 am yesterday (Saturday 23 January 2010), Highway Patrol officers detected a Kawasaki motorcycle allegedly travelling at 126 km/h in an 80 km/h zone. The 28-year-old male driver was stopped and Police checks revealed he held an expired learners licence and the motorbike was unregistered. The St. Leonards man was issued a Field Court Attendance Notice for exceed speed limit more than 45 km/h, unlicensed rider/driver, and use unregistered vehicle on road. The man will appear in North Sydney Local Court on 15 February 2010. About 5.40 am, the bike and motorcyclist were again detected, after allegedly disobeying a red traffic light at St. Leonards. The rider was taken to North Sydney Police Station where he was charged with disobey red traffic light, unlicensed driver/rider, use unregistered vehicle on road, use uninsured vehicle on road, use vehicle on road with road tax unpaid, use vehicle with expired registration label. Police then seized the motorcycle, and an application will be made for the vehicle to be forfeited and sold.

WENTWORTHVILLE: About 9.45 pm yesterday, a Toyota Corolla sedan was being driven on the Great Western Highway when the driver was stopped for a random breath test. The 23-year-old male allegedly returned a positive result of 0.270, nearly six times the legal limit. Police confiscated and suspended the man’s licence and he was issued a Field Court Attendance Notice for high range PCA. The man will appear in Fairfield Local Court on 16 February 2010.

 EUSTON: About 12.45 am yesterday, a Ford XR6 was stopped on the Murray Valley Highway. The 22-year-old male driver allegedly returned a positive breath analysis of 0.065. The man was charged with low range PCA and is due to appear before Balranald Local Court on 3 March 2010.

FINLEY: About 7.33 am yesterday, Police checked the speed of a motor cycle travelling northbound on the Newell Highway at 147 km/h in a sign-posted 100 km/h zone. The rider, an 18-year-old male, who holds a NSW Learner licence, was issued an infringement notice for exceed speed limit over 45 km/h Learner special speed restriction (147/80). A notice of suspension was also issued, and the teenager’s licence was surrendered to Police immediately.

 WOLLONGONG: About 2.20 am yesterday, a 24-year-old male driver was stopped in Market Street and subjected to a breath test. He allegedly returned a positive result of 0.190 and was issued a Field Court Attendance Notice for high range PCA. The man will appear in Wollongong Local Court on 9 March 2010.

Double demerit points will apply to all speed, occupant restraint and helmet offences detected between 00.01 hrs on Friday (22 January 2010) and 23.59 hrs on Tuesday (26 January 2010).

0

Start typing and press Enter to search