In Transport

South Australia Minister for Transport Patrick Conlon

Major Works On The Gawler Line To Begin

Victor P Taffa

The start of major track works on South Australia’s biggest rail revitalisation project the electrification of the Gawler line is now underway.

Federal Infrastructure and Transport Minister Anthony Albanese and South Australian Transport Minster Patrick Conlon today announced that following detailed planning and preconstruction activities, major track works on the line between Adelaide and Mawson Lakes will now start on 6 June 2010.

“This project is a great example of our Nation Building Program at work. It will put South Australians to work building the infrastructure that will make Adelaide an even better place to live and do business.” Mr. Albanese said.

 

 

“In fact, our decision to provide $293.5 Million as part last year’s Federal Budget means this project will now be completed in 2013, two years earlier than previous scheduled.”

“The upgrade of the Gawler line is part of the State and Federal government’s unprecedented $2.6 billion, decade-long investment in South Australia’s public transport infrastructure.”

“Together we are working to transform the way South Australians get around, giving them a faster, cleaner option.”

The multi-Billion dollar upgrade of the public transport system includes electrification of the Noarlunga, Gawler and Outer Harbor lines, station infrastructure upgrades, new electric trains and a modern ticketing system.

Major track works on the Gawler line will start on 6 June with the total closure of the line between Adelaide and Mawson Interchange.

Works include:

  • Upgrading the base layer
  • Installing new gauge-convertible concrete sleepers
  • Improving stormwater drainage
  • Refurbishing/replacing rail
  • Connecting the new Dry Creek railcar depot to the Gawler line

Letters and brochures detailing the timing of the 6 June works, maps and substitute bus timetables will be distributed to local residents from Monday.

Mr. Conlon said the State Government appreciates the public’s understanding while these important works are carried out and thanks them for their patience.

“There is no doubt that these works will lead to some disruption but we are doing everything possible to make sure all the relevant information is easily accessible.” Mr. Conlon said

“We are delivering some really important projects for the State’s future and I can guarantee people that the end result is worthwhile.”

Brochures detailing timing of the weekend works, maps and bus timetables are now available.

0

Start typing and press Enter to search