Gas Appliances Require Regular Checks For Safety

Gas Appliances Require Regular Checks For Safety

Victoria Minister for Energy and Resources Michael O’Brien

New Campaign Launched To Stop Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Deaths In Victorian Homes

Victor P Taffa

Victorian families have been urged to get their gas appliances regularly serviced and checked to stop accidental carbon monoxide deaths in a new campaign featuring the parents of two children who died from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Launching a new campaign by Energy Safe Victoria (ESV) at Parliament House today, Minister for Energy and Resources Michael O’Brien said the risks of leaving gas appliances unchecked were not worth taking.

Mr. O’Brien was joined at the campaign launch by Vanessa and Scott Robinson, the parents of two young children who died in their sleep at Mooroopna on 30 May last year because of a carbon monoxide leak from a faulty heater.

Investigations found Tyler and Chase Robinson died after carbon monoxide leaked from a faulty heater into their bedroom.

“Vanessa and Scott Robinson very bravely asked to be involved in this campaign because they do not want the same thing to happen to other families.” Mr. O’Brien said.

“We thank and admire them for their bravery and commitment to this campaign, particularly so soon after the loss of their children.”

“This was a horrible tragedy and this campaign by ESV and the Plumbing Industry Commission will help to make sure this does not happen to other Victorian families.”

“Carbon monoxide is a silent killer you can’t smell it, taste it or see it and all Victorians should regularly ensure their gas appliances are regularly checked and serviced at least every two years by a qualified gasfitter or service technician.” Mr. O’Brien said.

Carbon monoxide poisoning in the home becomes a danger when gas appliances, such as heaters, malfunction and do not burn the gas. The appliance may appear to be functioning normally but is also producing poisonous carbon monoxide. There have been nine fatalities from carbon monoxide poisoning in Victoria in the last 11 years.

The ESV campaign begins this Sunday 27 March and will include television, cinema, radio and newspaper advertisements.