In Fire & Rescue

Victoria Deputy Premier Peter Ryan

Victoria Minister for Emergency Services Peter Ryan

Coalition Government Approves Flood Assistance For Koo Wee Rup

Victor P Taffa

Deputy Premier and Minister for Emergency Services Peter Ryan today declared that the severe weather and flash flooding event that occurred overnight and today in Koo Wee Rup and the surrounding area will qualify for emergency re-establishment assistance.

“The Coalition Government is committed to ensuring those who are genuinely in need as a result of this latest flash flooding receive adequate support to help them resume a normal life as quickly as possible.” Mr. Ryan said.

“Today the Coalition Government has approved the activation of financial assistance to help eligible Victorians with the costs of re-establishing their homes where other measures, such as insurance, aren’t available or are insufficient.”

Under the Victorian Government’s Personal Hardship Assistance Program, eligible Victorians who incur costs because their homes are uninhabitable can already apply for Emergency Relief Assistance.

“Emergency Relief Assistance provides payments of up to $480 per adult and $240 per child up to a maximum of $1,200 per household to cover emergency shelter, food, clothing, or personal items.” Mr. Ryan said.

“In addition to that immediate support, I have today activated Emergency Re-establishment Assistance to eligible Victorians in extreme hardship whose homes are uninhabitable, whose insurance will not be sufficient to make their homes habitable again, and who meet an established income test.”

“This provides up to $30,000 per eligible household for clean-up, emergency accommodation, repairs, rebuilding and replacing some damaged contents.” Mr. Ryan said.

Officers from the Department of Human Services will assess each case on an individual basis, with any payments tested against each applicant’s current insurance and income.

“This assistance is designed to help Victorians in genuine need to re-establish their homes sooner. It’s not a replacement for insurance which will always provide a greater level of cover, so it’s crucial people contact their insurance providers first.” Mr. Ryan said.

Victorians seeking emergency support including advice about possible financial assistance should contact their local council.


Start typing and press Enter to search