In Law & Order

Assistant Commissioner John Hartley

Traffic Services Branch

Carnage Continues On New South Wales Roads – OPERATION SAFE ARRIVAL

The state’s Christmas/New Year road toll has risen to six with two more fatalities recorded on New South Wales roads today.

  • About 5.30am today (Saturday 19 December), a Ford Falcon hit a tree on Collins Promenade at Ingleburn in Sydney’s south-west.
  • A male rear seat passenger died at the scene, while the male driver and male front seat passenger were taken to Liverpool Hospital for treatment of a range of injuries.

Police from Macquarie Fields Local Area Command and the Metropolitan Crash Investigation Unit are conducting inquiries into the incident and a report will be prepared for the Coroner.

  • Investigations are continuing after a fatal motorcycle crash at Harden, in the State’s South-West, at 8.20am.
  • Police remain at the crash scene in Boorowa Street following the death of the male rider. A report will be prepared for the Coroner.

Traffic Services Commander, Assistant Commissioner John Hartley, has expressed alarm at the number of single-vehicle fatalities in the last 36 hours.

“Four of the six deaths on our roads so far this holiday period have occurred as a result of incidents involving single vehicles.” Assistant Commissioner Hartley said.

“Whilst investigations are continuing into the exact circumstances surrounding the latest two fatalities, motorists need to remember that fatigue, speeding, and drink-driving can be killers.

“The message is simple but it’s just not getting through to drivers – stick to the speed limit, don’t drink and drive, and take rest breaks at least every two hours when driving long distances.” Assistant Commissioner Hartley said.

The annual traffic enforcement campaign, ‘OPERATION SAFE ARRIVAL’, commenced yesterday (Friday 18 December 2009), with extra Police deployed across New South Wales to catch motorists breaking the law.

Speeding and seatbelt offences will incur double demerit points from next Wednesday (23 December) until the Saturday 3 January 2010.

On the first day of the operation, officers conducted 22,827 breath tests resulting in 28 people being charged with PCA (prescribed concentration of alcohol) offences.

OPERATION SAFE ARRIVAL concludes at 2359 hrs on Saturday 3 January 2010.


Start typing and press Enter to search