In Law & Order

Assistant Commissioner John Hartley

Traffic Services Branch

NSW Holiday Road Toll Climbs To 22 After Day 15 Of OPERATION SAFE ARRIVAL

The NSW holiday road toll has risen to 22 following two fatalities in separate crashes on New Year’s Day.

A teenager was killed and two others left in a critical condition following a single vehicle crash on the Kings Highway, between Braidwood and Canberra, yesterday.

Shortly before 3 pm a Toyota Camry was being driven by a 17-year-old male, West along the highway near Deloraine Road, about two kilometres west of Braidwood, when it crossed to the incorrect side of the road, overturned and hit a tree.

As a result of the crash, the 17-year-old from Murrumbateman, died at the scene.

An 18-year-old man from Spence in the ACT and a 17-year-old male from Turner in the ACT, who were both passengers in the car, were treated at the scene for serious head injuries and taken to Canberra Hospital.

Both the injured teenagers remain in the intensive care unit of Canberra Hospital.

The Spence man is in a medically-induced coma with head injuries. The Turner male is in a critical condition with head injuries, fractures and other internal injuries.

Both are expected to remain in intensive care for up to five days.

The Kings Highway was closed for a number of hours and diversions put in place while the crash site was examined. Investigations into the crash are continuing but at this stage it appears speed was not a factor.

Also yesterday, about 2.10 pm a red Mini Minor was travelling west along West Dapto Road, Kembla Grange, when it left the roadway and struck a power pole. The impact caused the vehicle to spin before coming to rest.

As a result the driver and sole occupant of the vehicle, a 19-year-old Horsley woman, sustained serious head and internal injuries.

She was airlifted to St. George Hospital by Ambulance helicopter, where she later died.

Officers from the Southern Region Crash Investigation Unit attended the scene and inquiries into the cause of the crash are continuing.

The two deaths bring the NSW Christmas/New Year holiday road toll to 22.

Meanwhile, Police have continued targeting dangerous driving on the State’s roads, conducting more than 426,000 breath tests on the first 15 days of the operation; the total number of PCA charges is currently unavailable.

Police have issued 15,169 speeding infringements in the first 15 days, up 1642 over the same period last year. There were 850 drivers caught speeding on day 15, compared to 857 on New Year’s Day last year.

Traffic Services Commander, Assistant Commissioner John Hartley, is reminding motorists to slow down and avoid driving whilst fatigued following the senseless deaths of two more young people.

“As people start heading home from their holidays, especially after New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day celebrations, they should make sure to get plenty of rest as driver fatigue becomes a factor.”

“Make sure you pull over and rest every two hours. We have needlessly lost two more young lives on the first day of a new year. Last year’s road toll was far too high and we are again pleading to motorists to start the new decade on the right foot and stay alive.” Assistant Commissioner Hartley said.

Examples of dangerous driver behaviour from New Year’s Day include:

  • Shortly before 1 am Police attempted to stop a Mitsubishi for a random breath in Pittwater Road, Manly, when the vehicle veered around them before stopping in a car park a short distance away. Police spoke to the driver, a 27-year-old man, who claimed he did not see them attempting to stop him. The driver produced a Colorado driver’s licence, claiming that the RTA told him he could drive on it for at least six months. He was questioned as to his arrival dates and driving history in NSW. Checks revealed that he was currently disqualified in NSW until March 2010 for a recent PCA charge. He was breath tested and returned a positive reading of 0.249. The man was arrested and taken to Manly Police Station where he failed to supply a sufficient sample for a breath analysis on three occasions. He was charged with failing to undergo a breath analysis and being a disqualified driver. The man is due to appear at Manly Local Court on 28 January 2010.
  • Shortly after 2 am today (Saturday 2 January), a 30-year-old local man was the rider of a motorcycle on The Horsley Drive, Wetherill Park, when Police checked his speed at 180 km/h in a sign posted 60 km/h zone. He was stopped and issued court attendance notices for the offences of dangerous speeding and exceeding the speed limit more than 45 km/h. His NSW drivers licence was suspended on the spot.

Start typing and press Enter to search