Assistant Commissioner John Hartley
Traffic Services Branch
NSW Road Toll Has Risen To 17 After Day 11 Of OPERATION SAFE ARRIVAL
The New South Wales holiday road toll has risen to 17 following the death of three people in a collision between a petrol tanker and three cars at Termeil yesterday.
The driver of the petrol tanker, a 36-year-old Narellan Vale man, died instantly. The two back seat passengers of the Subaru Forrester were killed and have not yet been formally identified. They are believed to be girls aged 11 and 13 years from Ulladulla. The male driver, aged 47 years and the front seat female passenger, aged 40 were pulled from the burning wreckage and airlifted to Concord and Royal North Shore Hospitals. They are both from Ulladulla and remain in a critical condition.
The three people taken to hospital, two women and a man, have been discharged from hospital. One man remains in Milton/Ulladulla Hospital with minor injuries.
In another crash a pedestrian sustained serious injuries following a motor vehicle collision at Dover Heights yesterday. About 2.30am, an 18-year-old female was driving a Yaris hatchback on Hardy Road when the vehicle struck a 31-year-old male pedestrian. The pedestrian was taken to St. Vincent’s Hospital where he underwent surgery for serious pelvis and leg injuries.
Traffic Services Commander, Assistant Commissioner John Hartley says the majority of fatal crashes during OPERATION SAFE ARRIVAL have occurred in regional areas.
“Seven people have died in the Southern region, three in the Northern region and one in the Western region. In the Metropolitan regions three people have been killed, two in Southwest and one in Northwest.”
“We have continued targeting dangerous driving on the State’s roads, conducting more than 265,368 breath tests on the 11 days of the operation; 787 people have been charged with drink driving so far, down 412 over the same period last year.
“We have issued 11,423 speeding infringements in the eleven days, up 1,160 over the same period last year. It is disappointing drivers aren’t heeding the message to slow down.” Assistant Commissioner Hartley said.
Speeding and seatbelt offences will incur double demerit points until the conclusion of OPERATION SAFE ARRIVAL at 2359 hrs on Saturday 3 January 2010.
Examples of dangerous driver behaviour from Monday 28 December include:
- About 7.30pm, a 40-year-old Potts Point man was stopped by Police in the Kings Cross area. His car was not registered and he failed a breath test. He was taken to the nearby Police station and undertook a breath analysis procedure which read 0.144 (HRPCA). His licence was suspended immediately and he was charged with drink driving offences and not registering his vehicle.
- Around 3.00 pm, Police on Moore Park Road observed a vehicle travelling well in excess of the 50km/h speed limit for the area overtaking vehicles that were driving towards their location. The vehicle was then seen to suddenly brake harshly and skid to a near halt around their location. The 63-year-old driver was not wearing his seatbelt and heavily affected by alcohol. He was taken to Waverley Police Station where a breath analysis determined a reading of 0.156 (HRPCA). The driver said to Police “I don’t trust machines, especially yours.” The man had his driver’s licence suspended immediately and he was charged.
- About 4.15pm Police were returning to their vehicle from a petrol station on the Great Western Highway at Hazelbrook. Police heard the revving of a motor by a white Holden utility at traffic lights. When the lights changed to green Police saw two rooster tails of water being emitted from the rear of the utility and it ‘fishtailed’ along the road. The utility was stopped by Police and the Queensland provisional driver with 3 months experience was spoken to by Police. He was issued with a field court attendance notice to attend Katoomba Local Court on the 20 January, 2010 for the offence of drive manner dangerous.
- About 9.00am a 51-year-old Moruya man was stopped on Princes Highway, Moruya driving an unregistered and uninsured vehicle. When spoken to the man said he was disqualified from driving until July, 2010. He was issued with field court attendance notices to appear at Moruya Local Court in February, 2010.
- At 6.10pm Police conducting mobile speed enforcement on Gladstone Avenue, West Wollongong when the detected a 31-year-old Wollongong man travelling at 97km/h in a 50km/h area. He was issued with a traffic infringement notice for exceeding speed limit over 30km/h.
- At 11.35am on the Hume Highway at Thurgoona a 20-year-old P2 licence holder was detected at 166km/h in a 110km/h speed limit area. He was issued with a traffic infringement notice for exceeding the speed limit by over 45km/h and immediate licence suspension.