In Law & Order

Assistant Commissioner John Hartley

Traffic Services Branch

NSW Road Toll Has Risen To 14 After Day 10 Of  OPERATION SAFE ARRIVAL

The New South Wales holiday road toll has risen to 14 following the death of a woman in a single vehicle crash at Rylstone near Mudgee yesterday.

About 12:30 pm, Police and paramedics were called to Lue Road, about 40km from Mudgee following reports of a crash. Upon arrival Police found a Ford utility had hit a tree. An 18-year-old woman, who was a passenger in the car died at the scene. The male driver was taken to Rylstone Hospital with minor injuries.

Traffic Services Commander, Assistant Commissioner John Hartley, is reminding motorists to slow down and drive to the conditions.

“It’s extremely important motorists take extra care and change the way they drive in wet weather, especially on slippery roads and in poor visibility, allowing extra stopping distance.”

“We have continued targeting dangerous driving on the State’s roads, conducting more than 265,368 breath tests on the first ten days of the operation; 726 people have been charged with drink driving so far, down 415 over the same period last year.”

“We have issued 10,529 speeding infringements in the first ten days, up 914 over the same period last year. 797 people have been caught not wearing their seat belt, up 63 from last year.” Assistant Commissioner Hartley said.

Speeding and seatbelt offences will incur double demerit points until the conclusion of Operation Safe Arrival at 2359 hrs on Saturday 3 January 2010.

Examples of dangerous driver behaviour from Sunday 27 December include:

  • About 3.40 pm a 29-year-old man was driving west along Andrews Road, Penrith, when he was stopped for a stationary random breath test. He was unable to produce his licence as he was disqualified from driving until 2031. He was arrested and returned to Penrith Police Station where he was issued with a court attendance notice for disqualified driver. The passenger was the registered owner of the vehicle and issued with a field court attendance notice for aid and abet disqualified driver.
  • At 4.15 am a 30-year-old Glenfield man was driving on the M5 Motorway at Moorebank when police checked his speed at 130 km/h in a 100 km/h zone. He was stopped by Police and submitted a positive roadside breath test. He was arrested and taken to Liverpool Police Station where a breath analysis test revealed a reading of 0.157 (HRPCA). Further checks also revealed the male was disqualified from holding or obtaining a drivers licence back in August 2008. He was formally charged with high range drink driving, driving whilst disqualified and exceeding the speed limit by more than 20 km/h.
  • About 3.10 pm a 45-year-old-man was stopped driving South on Balemo Street, Windale. He returned a positive breath test and was arrested and taken to Charlestown Police Station. He submitted a breath analysis test revealing a reading of 0.140. He was issued a notice of suspension and demand for surrender of driver licence. There were four passengers in the vehicle at the time.
  • About 4.45 pm a 49-year-old woman was stopped for a stationary random breath test in Hastings River Drive, Port Macquarie. She returned a positive reading, was arrested and taken to Port Macquarie Police Station. She submitted a breath analysis test which gave a reading of 0.275. Her licence was immediately suspended.
  • At 3.30 pm on the Hume Highway at Goulburn a 33-year-old Forster man was stopped for a speeding offence. Inquiries also revealed the driver was wanted on numerous offences. He was arrested and taken to Goulburn Police Station, where he was charged with speeding, two counts of state false name/particulars, two counts of licence expired two years or more, burnout, negligent driving, receive property stolen outside NSW, goods in custody and breach of bail. The driver was bail refused to appear in Goulburn Local Court.
  • At 6.20 pm on Hume Highway at Mittagong a 17-year-old P1 licence holder from Glenwood had his speed checked by Lidar at 170 km/h. He was issued with a court attendance notice and his licence was suspended. He had two passengers in the car at the time.
  • At 4 pm an 18-year-old woman was stopped for using a mobile phone whilst driving in Morgan Street Wagga. She was a disqualified driver and when asked why she was driving disqualified she said “the shops are open and the sales are on”.
  • At 10:30 am a 31-year-old man was stopped for stationary random breath testing on the Princes Highway, West Wollongong. He was unable to produce his licence and inquiries revealed that it expired in 1997. He was issued with a field court attendance notice for unlicenced driver never held to appear at Wollongong Local Court on 2 February 2010.
  • At 4.25 pm a 26-year-old ACT man was driving west bound on the Kings Hwy, near Doughboy Creek. As he passed Police his speed was checked by LIDAR at 160 km/h. He was stopped by Police and issued with a $1,744 speeding fine and had his driving privileges immediately suspended in NSW.

Start typing and press Enter to search