Queensland Minister for Housing Mick de Brenni
$24.7 Million Coronavirus Housing And Homelessness Response
Victor P Taffa
Palaszczuk Government will immediately implement a range of measures to provide support for vulnerable Queenslanders, particularly those who are homeless or at risk of homelessness in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic.
Minister for Housing and Public Works Mick de Brenni said that the state government was investing $24.7 Million in an 8-point housing and homelessness plan to ensure that vulnerable Queenslanders get the services they need during this public health emergency.
“Coronavirus is having a huge impact on everyone in our community, but especially vulnerable Queenslanders that are experiencing homelessness.” Minister de Brenni said.
“Queensland’s 169 homelessness providers are on the front line every day and this package provides immediate support to respond to emerging challenges arising from the spread of coronavirus in Queensland.”
“Whether they need crisis accommodation or essential services, we’ll support Queenslanders until this pandemic is over.”
“Palaszczuk Government is working to ensure nobody is left out in the cold at this unprecedented time.”
Minister de Brenni said Queensland’s housing support package would deliver:
- Safe accommodation for vulnerable and homeless Queenslanders needing to self-isolate
- Brokerage funds for specialist homelessness services to provide crisis accommodation
- Increased outreach capacity for homelessness service providers
- Funding to cover replacement staff
- Cleaning of shelters and funds for the purchase of cleaning equipment and PPE
- Accommodation assistance for vulnerable people requiring self-isolation
- Enhancing the Home Assist Secure program to provide support for older Queenslanders and people with a disability who need essential supplies and services.
- Expanding access to private market support products for people who face economic hardship from coronavirus.
Anyone experiencing or at risk of homelessness can contact their local Housing Service Centre or the Homeless Hotline on 1800 474 753.