Western Australia Minister for Science and Innovation John Day
WA’s Innovators To Build On Strong Foundations
Victor P Taffa
- Business Foundations appointed to operate Innovation Centre WA
- Centre provides support to WA’s innovators and entrepreneurs
- Innovation is crucial to the State’s continued economic development
A new team of commercialisation advisers at the Innovation Centre WA (ICWA) will assist Western Australia’s innovators and entrepreneurs to develop their ideas into sustainable business opportunities.
Science and Innovation Minister John Day today announced that not-for-profit organisation Business Foundations has been appointed by the Department of Commerce to operate the high-profile ICWA at Technology Park, Bentley.
“Innovation is crucial to WA’s continued economic development.” Mr. Day said.
“The State Government recognises innovation can be challenging and established ICWA to provide comprehensive support services to the increasing number of innovators and entrepreneurs.”
“Business Foundations will make it easier for these individuals and small-to-medium enterprises to access the information, skills and investment they need to develop their ideas into new products and services.”
“With close to 20 years’ experience in providing advice, training and space for small businesses, I have no doubt that Phil Kemp and his team will ensure the centre continues to be a key contact point for innovation in the State.” Mr. Day said.
The Minister said ICWA played a vital role in delivering the Government’s vision for innovation in WA.
“Last year alone, the centre assisted more than 1,000 innovators at varying stages of commercialisation and many of these innovators have gone on to successfully turn their ideas into commercially viable businesses.” Mr. Day said.
“The centre, together with the WA Innovator of the Year Awards and the Innovation Vouchers Program, contributes to the vibrant innovation ecosystem that is clearly evident in this State.”
- ICWA provides incubation space, meeting facilities, advisory services, and regular information & networking events aimed at equipping innovators & entrepreneurs with the knowledge, skills & contacts to translate their ideas into sustainable processes, products & services
- The centre is also a focal point for commercialisation outreach activities throughout metropolitan & regional WA
- Applications for the WA Innovator of the Year Awards close 1 pm, Friday, July 6