Australian Electoral Commission
Victor P Taffa
The by-election for the federal electorate of Bradfield will be held on Saturday, 5 December 2009, the Australian Electoral Commission (AEC) announced today.
The AEC Divisional Returning Officer for Bradfield, Yvonne Harrison, said that people living in the electorate of Bradfield must ensure that they are correctly enrolled to vote.
“All Australian citizens aged 18 years and over living in the Bradfield electorate are eligible to vote in this by-election, as long as they are correctly enrolled to vote when the electoral roll closes.”
“If you’re not on the electoral roll, you must fill in an enrolment form immediately and return it to the AEC by 8pm, 30 October 2009.”
“If you’re already on the roll but recently moved and need to update your enrolment, you have until 8pm, 9 November 2009 to get your completed enrolment form to the AEC.” Ms. Harrison said.
Voting is compulsory at by-elections.
The key dates for the by-election are:
- Issue of the writ: Friday, 30 October 2009
- Deadline for new enrolments: Friday, 30 October 2009
- Electoral roll closes: Monday, 9 November 2009
- Close of candidate nominations: Thursday, 12 November 2009
- Declaration of candidate nominations: Friday, 13 November 2009
- Election Day: Saturday, 5 December 2009
The by-election will be conducted using the same electoral boundaries for Bradfield as used at the 2007 federal election.