Victoria Shadow Minister for Health David Davis
Coalition To Strengthen Palliative Care Services By $34.4 Million
Victor P Taffa
The Victorian Liberal Nationals Coalition will provide an additional $8.6 Million each year for the next four years to assist people who require palliative care services, Shadow Minister for Health David Davis announced today.
“Victoria’s growing ageing population will place greater demand on palliative care services into the future and the Victorian Liberal Nationals Coalition is determined to meet the needs of this demographic shift.” Mr. Davis said.
“For those 50 % of Victorians who suffer a period of chronic illness before dying, many would benefit from palliative care.”
“This funding will improve support for carers and enhance the quality of life for people living with and dying from a terminal illness.” Mr. Davis said.
The Victorian Liberal Nationals Coalition will spend $4.2 Million per year to fill major gaps in Palliative Care Services, particularly in Rural Areas and the growth corridors of Metropolitan Regions.
$4.4 Million will be used to meet the growing need for Palliative Care, which is estimated to increase by 4.6 % per year.
The Victorian Liberal Nationals Coalition will:
- Establish a flexible funding pool to assist carers with costs.
- Support engagement with Aboriginal and multicultural organisations to ensure palliative care services are culturally sensitive.
- Improve access to up-to-date information on supporting a person who needs Palliative Care.
- Improve access to after-hours Palliative Care services.
- Increase funding for paediatric Palliative Care Services.
- Provide more funds to meet the needs of people who wish to die at home, in accordance with the Cancer Action Plan.
- Improve access to grief support and risk assessment.
Adopt a range of workforce initiatives to meet the growing need for palliative care, including training and employing specialised palliative medicine physicians to provide palliative care to children, adolescents and young adults, and further developing capacity in the palliative care approach in disability and aged care services.
The Victorian Liberal Nationals Coalition will also provide extra funding to recruit and train volunteers, who currently make up 60 % of the Palliative Care Workforce and play a key role in improving the quality of life of people with a life-threatening illness and their families.
The Victorian Liberal Nationals Coalition allocation meets in full the request of Palliative Care Victoria.
Responsibility for Election Comment
Under the provisions of the relevant Electoral Act responsibility for all election comment is assumed by Editor Victor P Taffa. The Registered office of The Southern Thunderer is at 4/69a Darvall Road, West Ryde NSW 2114.