Australia’s Population Up 1.6 % Year Ended 31 March 2019

Australia’s Population Up 1.6 % Year Ended 31 March 2019

Australian Bureau Of Statistics

Australia’s Population Grows By 1.6 %

Victor P Taffa

Australia’s population grew by 1.6 % during the year ending 31 March 2019, according to the latest figures released by the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS).

“Population at 31 March 2019 was 25.3 Million people, following an annual increase of 388,800 people.” ABS Demography Director Beidar Cho said.

Natural increase accounted for 35.8 % of annual population growth, while net overseas migration accounted for the remaining 64.2 %.

There were 298,100 births and 159,100 deaths registered in Australia during the year ending 31 March 2019. Natural increase during this period was 139,100 people, down 2.2 % from the previous year.

There were 534,700 overseas migration arrivals and 285,100 departures during the year ending 31 March 2019, resulting in net overseas migration of 249,700 people. Net overseas migration was up 4.9 % compared to the previous year.

Preliminary Data

Population At End March Quarter 2019

Change Over Previous Year ‘000

State/ Territory                      ‘000              ‘000                 %

New South Wales                   8, 071.1           114.1               1.4%

Victoria                                   6, 566.2           133.5               2.1%

Queensland                             5, 076.5           88.1                 1.8%

Western Australia                   2, 615.8           26.0                 1.0%

South Australia                       1, 748.6           14.8                 0.9%

Tasmania                                 533.3               6.4                   1.2%

Northern Territory                   245.6               –1.1                 –0.4%

Australian Capital Territory    425.7               6.9                   1.7%

Australia(a)                            25, 287.4         388.8               1.6%

(a) Includes Other Territories comprising Jervis Bay Territory, Christmas Island, the Cocos (Keeling) Islands and Norfolk Island.