Australia’s Population Up 1.6 % During 2018

Australia’s Population Up 1.6 % During 2018

Australian Bureau Of Statistics

Australia’s Population Grows By 1.6 %

Victor P Taffa

Australia’s population grew by 1.6 % during 2018, according to the latest figures released by the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS).

“Steady growth over recent quarters has resulted in a population of 25.2 million people at 31 December 2018.” ABS Demography Director Beidar Cho said.

Number of births in 2018 reached an all-time high of 314,900, 161,900 of these were male and 153,000 females. The previous record was 312,200 in 2012.

There were fewer deaths in Australia during 2018, compared with 2017 (158,500 in 2018 and 160,100 in 2017). As a result, natural increase was 156,300 people in 2018, compared with 144,100 in 2017.

Natural increase (births minus deaths) accounted for 38.6 % of population growth, while net overseas migration accounted for the remaining 61.4 %.

Net overseas migration for 2018 was 248,400 people, which was higher than the 2017 figure of 241,700. This is due to a decline in overseas migration departures (281,600 in 2018 compared with 289,700 in 2017) and relatively stable overseas migration arrivals (530,100 in 2018 and 531,400 in 2017).

Victoria continued to have the highest growth at 2.2 % and Tasmania continued to have its stronger growth (1.2 %) in comparison with recent years.

Preliminary Data                  Population At 31 Dec 2018 ‘000

State/Territory              Population      Annual Growth ‘000 Annual Growth %

New South Wales                   8, 046.1            123.8                           1.6%

Victoria                                   6, 526.4            139.4                           2.2%

Queensland                             5, 052.8            89.9                             1.8%

Western Australia                   2, 606.3            24.0                             0.9%

South Australia                       1, 742.7            14.6                             0.8%

Tasmania                                 531.5               6.5                               1.2%

Australian Capital Territory    423.8               7.6                               1.8%

Northern Territory                   245.9               –1.0                             –0.4%

Australia                                25, 180.2          404.8                           1.6%