Northern Territory Minister for Local Government Gerry McCarthy
Infrastructure Grants Open
Victor P Taffa
Regional and shire councils have the opportunity to improve community infrastructure with a $5 Million grants round now open.
Department of Local Government, Housing and Community Development’s Strategic Local Government Infrastructure Fund supports councils with low rate bases to deliver key infrastructure projects and carry out repairs and maintenance.
“Regional and shire councils have a vital community role in driving jobs and supporting local communities and this annual Grant Program helps boost their capacity to deliver better infrastructure.” Minister for Local Government Gerry McCarthy said.
“I encourage councils to take advantage of this opportunity and apply for funding to increase their capacity to deliver critical services to communities in regional and remote areas, including shared services projects.”
Funds can be used to:
- Purchase plant and equipment;
- Improve parks, playgrounds, sporting and recreational areas;
- Re-seal community roads; upgrade cemetery and communications infrastructure;
- Repair and maintain swimming pools, staff housing, council offices and facilities;
- Improve storm water and waste management systems.
Councils are able to combine funding sources to deliver the infrastructure projects.
Applications close on 1 November 2019.