New South Wales Police Force
Police Arrest 42 People During Blitz On Pre-Christmas Theft – OPERATION SNIPER
Police have arrested 42 people during a four-day operation targeting robbery and theft offences in inner Sydney.
‘OPERATION SNIPER ’ was carried out by officers from the Region Enforcement Squad (RES) based at Redfern, assisted by the Redfern, Leichhardt, City Central, Botany Bay and The Rocks Local Area Commands.
The operation was split into two phases:
- The first was an anti-shop stealing phase targeting thieves operating in major department stores and retail outlets in Pitt Street Mall.
- The second phase targeted theft and robbery suspects in and around the Sydney C.B.D.
From Wednesday 16 December to Saturday 19 December, Police identified and arrested dozens of suspected thieves in Redfern, Leichhardt and the City and charged them with a total of 71 offences.
The thefts relate to more than $15,000 in goods, including perfume, clothing and electrical products, as well as two motor vehicles, valued around $34,000.
Of those arrested:
- 19 were charged,
- 16 were issued with Field Court Attendance Notices,
- 2 received Criminal Infringement Notices,
- 1 was given a Future Court Attendance Notice,
- 2 received Youth Cautions
- 2 were issued warnings.
The charges include:
- Car theft,
- Resist arrest,
- Breach of bail,
- Carry cutting weapon
- Break, enter and steal offences.
Police are reminding shoppers and business owners to be on their guard against theft over the Christmas/New Year period.
Shoppers should secure their handbags, purses and shopping bags while retailers should be extra vigilant against shoplifters.
Victims of theft are strongly urged to report the matter to Police or contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.