Minister Outlines Future Approach For Forestry Industry

Minister Outlines Future Approach For Forestry Industry

Tasmania Minister for Resources Guy Barnett

New Opportunities For Private Foresters

Victor P Taffa

Minister for Resources Guy Barnett said that a key plank of the Hodgman Government’s plan for our native forest industry is to provide new opportunities for the private sector.

“We have made clear that private companies will be offered the chance to harvest trees from our Future Potential Production Forests earlier to help meet the legislated wood supply requirements.” Mr. Barnett said.

State-owned forestry business, to be known as Sustainable Timber Tasmania will not harvest on public land outside the Permanent Timber Production Zone.

“We have also announced we will look to the private forest estate to support efforts to deliver 137,000 cubic metres of high quality sawlog each year.”

Private forest managers, growers and harvesters such as AKS Forest Solutions Pty Ltd are supportive of the Government’s plan not only because it provides more opportunities for growth, but also greater certainty.

“Steps that I outlined in my Ministerial Statement on Wednesday are all about delivering security, resource security, financial security and job security.” Mr. Barnett said.

“In contrast to our approach, Labor continues to argue for ongoing public subsidies to underwrite Forestry Tasmania’s (FT) broken business model.”

“The FT Board states in advice that I tabled in Parliament earlier this week that the “annual funding gap” from its operations is forecast to increase to $24 Million a year.”

“The Hodgman Government is committed to securing jobs in our forest industry, while ending the public subsidies.” Mr. Barnett said.