Northern Territory Minister for Tourism and Culture Lauren Moss
Tourism (NT) Northern Territory Board Of Commissioners Appointed
Victor P Taffa
Minister for Tourism and Culture Lauren Moss today announced the re-appointment of Michael Bridge as Chairman of the incoming Tourism NT Board of Commissioners for a period of two years.
Minister Moss also welcomed four local women to the Board, two of whom are Indigenous.
“The Territory Government is restoring trust in Government through its focus on creating jobs and this board will play a lead role in doing that in the tourism sector.” Minister Moss said.
“We have doubled the number of women on the Board, bringing greater diversity and a strong Indigenous and regional focus to the table.”
“Helen Martin, is Chair of the Indigenous Tourism Advisory Council, Dale McIver, Chair of Tourism Central Australia, Rachael Beaumont-Smith Deputy Chair of Tourism Top End and Trish Angus from Indigenous Business Australia.”
“I am very pleased that we are strengthening our partnership with our regional tourism organisations through the appointment of Ms. Rachael Beaumont-Smith, and Ms. Dale McIver.” Minister Moss said.
“I am also pleased to see Mr. Michael Bridge continue as Chair of the Board along with Mick Burns, Geoff Weeks and Denis Pierce as Board members.”
“Their re-appointment will provide continuity of our strategic direction as well as a seamless transition for our new Commissioners.” Minister Moss said.
“A key focus for the Board is to provide advice to Tourism NT while we work to grow the tourism industry over this period of economic slowdown.”
“This includes working our key priority markets including Asia, growing and sustaining aviation services, and making sure we respond to the changing needs and interests of travellers.”
“I welcome all Commissioners to the Tourism NT Board and I look forward to working with them.” Minister Moss said.
Northern Territory Government called for Expressions of Interest to join the Board of Tourism NT in October 2016 and received more than 50 applications.
New commissioners to the Tourism NT Board include:
- Helen Martin, Business Director of Banubanu Wilderness Retreat on Bremer Island, off the coast of Nhulunbuy and Chair of the NT Chief Minister’s Indigenous Tourism Advisory Council
- Dale McIver, Director Alice Event Management and Consultancy and Chair of Tourism Central Australia
- Rachael Beaumont-Smith, Managing Director Darwin Harbour Cruises and Deputy Chair of Tourism Top End
- Trish (Patricia) Angus, Director Indigenous Business Australia and CareFlight, member of the Top End Hospital Network Governing Council and the Charles Darwin University Vice-Chancellor’s Indigenous Advisory Council
- Jeff Huyben, General Manager Chifley Alice Springs Resort and former Chair of Tourism Central Australia.
Returning board commissioners include:
- Michael Bridge as Chair, Director of Airnorth,
- Mick Burns, Darwin businessman and owner/operator of Porosus P/L,
- Geoff Weeks, General Manager Halikos Hospitality P/L,
- Denis Pierce, Director Linchpin P/L an inbound travel management company.
Tourism is critical to the Northern Territory, estimated to be worth $1.8 Billion to the economy (Gross Value Added, GVA) and providing 15,500 direct and indirect jobs.